Les McKeown's Predictable Success Blog
I notice it all the time in executive sessions – strong managers use the language of ‘or’:
– Do you want me to send this new hire to orientation, or get her started on the big project we hired her for?
– Are we focussing on revenue growth or margin protection this quarter?
– Am I supposed to go to this meeting or sort out that unhappy customer?
…while leaders learn that they have to speak in the language of ‘and’:
– I need you to do this and continue to do that.
– We need to focus on ‘A’ while still delivering on ‘B’.
– Start ‘Y’ and fix ‘X’.
If you want to upgrade your leadership skills, spend a day editing yourself: Where you say ‘or’, think about how to make it an ‘and’.
RECENT BLOG Posts