Being a truly great leader calls for transcendence.
Being a truly great manager is mostly about getting the mechanics right. Here are 5 relatively simple mechanical skills that will transform any good manager into a truly great one:
1. Understand that while your relationships with your direct reports hold the key to your short term success, it’s the relationship with your peer managers that holds the key to your long term success.
2. Let other people finish their thoughts.
3. Find a ubiquitous capture tool that you’re comfortable with.
4. Ask two people you respect to review anything of importance that you produce, before it is finalized.
5. Stop using Powerpoint. Learn the art of facilitation instead.